This is a favorite dish of mine. My Babcia would make this frequently.
Cabbage Roll Casserole
1 small head of cabbage
1 ½ lbs ground beef
4 garlic cloves, diced
1 medium white onion, diced
1/3 cup rice, uncooked or 1 cup Minute Rice, uncooked
2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, chopped
1 lb sauerkraut (bag or jar)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Chop cabbage into bite-sized pieces, discard the core.
2. Place cabbage in bottom of large deep casserole.
3. Brown the meat, add the onion, garlic, salt and pepper.
4. Add the rice and one can of the chopped tomatoes, including the juice.
5. Mix together well and pour over the chopped cabbage.
6. Spread the sauerkraut on top, including the juice.
7. Cover with second can of chopped tomatoes and juice.
8. Bake uncovered in a 350° oven for 20 minutes.
9. Cover and continue baking for another hour or until rice is tender.